Tuesday 27 January 2009

Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway

Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway(2008)

This is probably going to be my (Emelie) new DVD purchase. I watched the old RENT movie from 2005 about 2 years ago and fell in love. RENT is a classic but I have to say that this new movie, which is really a professional recording of the show on Broadway, is much better than the old movie…

How does one even go about explaining RENT? It’s so much more than a movie/show, it’s a cult and a classic. I will try and break it down though,

Set in New York City's gritty East Village, the revolutionary rock opera RENT tells the story of a group of bohemians struggling to live and pay their rent. "Measuring their lives in love," these starving artists strive for success and acceptance while enduring the obstacles of poverty, illness and the AIDS epidemic.
In the heart of these people you find one of my favorite characters, Angel. His/her journey from falling in love with Collins
to getting sick is so heartbreaking and for me it is the heart of the show.

This version of RENT (as a difference to the old one) is build pretty much only of the songs. It may make it harder to follow but it also deepens the music.
As far as the c
ast goes this cast is quite different. The only one same in both movies is Tracie Thoms who plays Joanne. She rocks the role. In this version she plays up against Eden Espinosa instead of Idina Menzel (awesome choice). Eden really is funnier, prettier and sings better. The rest of the cast was brilliant as well but for me Eden, Tracie and Justin Johnston (Angel) stole the show. I do miss the 2005 movie Collins though.

The effects are of course not like other movies. This is a recording of the show on Broadway so it’s on stage, you do however get amazing angles and its shot like a real movie. You won’t miss a thing. Of course this is the real show, not the movie version that was badly put together. Some of the best songs were not even in the movie but now you can hear them here.

I’m biased. I have loved RENT for a long time (even if apparently it’s not cool. Who cares anyway?)
I give this a 9.8/10. Hands down amazing, I will buy it the second it comes available on DVD next month.

IMDB

-- Emelie. No day but today...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*hugs my Idina* I still love you more than Eden *nods*

Okay, now to the important stuff:
I can't really decide which version I love more, because even though the stage version has all songs and EDEN <3, the movie has most of the OBC + Tracie. And personally I do prefer that cast.

But both versions are completely LOVE and everything. So I just watch them both ;)

ikke said...

Oh, i so wanna see this movie! i also fell in love with the musical when i saw the movie from 2005. and there started my love for idina menzel, which brought me to wicked. btw didn't eden played idinas role in wicked after she left? and now she is taking her role in rent? oh anyway.. wanna get my hands on this one.

Isvind said...

I'm not gonna be friends with you guys anymore... I mean idina stinks... and shes full of mold... and rent... the story is boring and uninteresting, it's bad songs and even if Idina is not in this version I would NOT watch it...
DIE