Tuesday 14 October 2008

The Descent

"A caving expedition goes horribly wrong, as the explorers become trapped and ultimately pursued by a strange breed of predators."

The Descent from 2005 is not your every-day horror movie. Sure parts of it might scare you from going anywhere near tight spaces or dark rooms, but the real mening of it i so much more complicated.
The movie is written and directed by Neil Marshall (also known for 'Dog soldiers' and 'doomsday') an it is the first horror movie with all female leads. It's beautifully filmed in Great Britain (mostly Scotland).

The story is about 6 women who after one of them (sarah) goes through a tragic loss decide to go on a cave diving expedition. Of course things go bad once they are trapped deep under ground and they are not alone...

The two people who stands out the most are Shauna McDonald who playes Sarah and Nathalie Jackson Mendoza who playes Juno. These two play off each other with such force its almost scary.

What I (emelie) love most about this movie is its layers. It's not simply a horror movie, it's a phsycological movie. Neil Marshall has a tendency to create characters and plots as deep as possible. Which brings me to the end of the movie (no spoilers I promise) it is just so artistically done and it is left open for the viewers to add their own ideas off what really happened.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/


I give it a 9/10

- Emelie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this lol, and that night evertytime I closed my eyes I could see those creatures... underneath all the horror I guess the movie was actually good... though most people can tell you that I hate mutant movies with a passion (I couldn't sit through the Hills Have Eyes) they kind of fascinate me in a scary creepy way... therefore that was probably all I took in of the movie...

^Sorry about rambling lol