Wednesday 11 February 2009

Der Rote Baron/ The red baron


Der Rote Baron/ The red baron (2008)


Baron Manfred von Richthofen (Matthias Schweighöfer) is the most feared and celebrated pilot of the German air force in World War I. To him and his companions, air combats are events of sporty nature, technical challenge and honorable acting, ignoring the terrible extent of war. But after falling in love with the nurse Käte (Lena Headey), Manfred realizes he is only used for propaganda means. Caught between his disgust for the war, and the responsibility for his fighter wing, von Richthofen sets out to fly again.

This is not the kind of movies I (Emelie) usually watch but I gave it a shot for 2 reasons, Lena Heady and the fact that the cover looked so stunning (not the one here, I saw a different one in sweden which looked so much better).
The movie is based on a true story and I have to say I was not disappointed. First off its beautifully filmed, the air scenes are stunning, and the acting is really great. Lena Heady (even with her fake German accent) plays her role to perfection and the last scene with her is amazing.
This is a war/romance/drama movie and it is 2 hours long (but feels a lot shorter).
I would definitely recommend it.

I give it a 7/10

IMDB

- Emelie, done, now back to watching Bones…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DER ROTE BARON (The Red Baron) is a fine movie. I would give it an 8.0 on a scale of 1 to 10.

The uniforms and the planes are great. The aerial battles are awesome and the story is very good (though not always historically accurate).

Mathias Schweighofer was an excellent Baron and Til Schweiger was a very good Werner Voss. Lena Heady gave a command performance as nurse Kate.

Excellent.