Tuesday 31 March 2009

Beetle Juice


Beetle Juice (1988)

If you ask me for one good childhood memory it would be this movie. My mum taped it on and old VHS tape and I watched it over and over and over and over again. I am pretty sure this was where I fell in love with Geena Davis as well.

So last night me and some friends were just fed up with school and decided to watch this movie. Best idea ever.

The movie is about Adam (Alec Baldwin) and Barbara (Geena Davis) who live in a beautiful house in New England. One day while driving home they are involved in a terrible auto accident. They manage to walk home only to discover later that they have died and now haunt their house. When their house is purchased by an out of state family, they feel their home is threatened by the over-the-top artists wife and real-estate idea-man husband. Their only relief is the Gothic daughter of the family. Their attempts at scaring the family out of the house are ignored or laughed at. Finally they fall to the temptation to use the people-exorcizer Beetle Juice. When they find his tactics too dangerous, they attempt to contain him and save the family they were trying to boot.

I should also add that this is a Tim Burton movie in every way possible. The effects are cheesy (though the movie is from 1988 so it is to be expected) but it is easily one of the funniest movies ever. It’s not meant as a horror movie (though Geena Davis’s hair is quite scary), its more humor and a real feel good movie.

I will give this a 9/10

IMDB

- Emelie, sick and busy packing to go home…



1 comment:

HKF said...

Gena Davis hair was so scary! But I luv Micheal Keaton as Betelgeuse, it's bloody wicked.